Wednesday, October 14, 2009

"Foreigner in a Straight Land," by J. Adams Oaks

Recently, my computer landed behind the Genius Bar for repairs. Serendipitously, I came across a terrific site, www.cellstories.net which posts daily stories for your phone. I scrolled through this coming-of-age story and was enamored with the voice of the protagonist, gullible-sounding and full of integrity. He's an American student studying in Madrid who knows that he is gay but lacks the confidence to come out in his native land. He asks such questions as 'how will I know' and eventually he finds the real test and answer, and you will be cheering him along. It's a wonderful piece and appears in expanded form as J. Adams Oaks' recent novel, Why I Fight. Check out cellstories.net not here but on your smart phone and curl up with a good read in the palm of your hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment